2023 Autism Acceptance Month Matters Summit with Dr. Kerry Magro
Audience: Educators, Therapists, Parents
11:00AM-11:15PM - Welcome, introduction, setting the stage (Autism 101)
- Kerry will include a short bio on his work.
- Kerry will briefly discuss why this topic matters (definition of autism, prevalence #’s and the history of autism).
- Spotlighting positive autistic role models
11:15-12:15PM – Module 1 – 10 Misconceptions About Autism That Need To Be Debunked
To attend this module: https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_WIBPkMRBR7SmLtVRZiIw5w
- How our society can pivot from autism awareness to autism acceptance, appreciation and understanding
- Educating on the history of autism and stereotypes that still impact our community to this day
- How you can become an ally for autistic people
12:15-12:30 – Break
12:30-1:30 – Module 2 – Self-Advocate Expert Panel moderated by Dr. Kerry Magro
To attend this module: https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_Mtqon316Sc-7Tx6jmVnR-w
- Local self-advocates from your group will be able to spotlight their stories as we also help them nurture their own self-advocacy as they get to talk about their journeys.
- Each self-advocate will answer general questions already created before opening up the rest of the presentation to Q&A from fellow students and faculty
1:30-2:30 – Lunch break
2:30-3:30 – Module 3 – The 10 Questions I’m Asked Most About From My Autism Journey From Nonspeaking to Professional Speaker
To attend this module: https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_eCU1gkJgS_mrOcUyynlQYA
- Kerry will break down the most frequently asked questions he receives from members of the autism community.
- Resources will be provided on areas such as picky eating, toilet training, etc.
- Expert testimonies will be shared
3:30-3:45 - Closing remarks
- Kerry will summarize what was discussed today and leave the rest of the time for Q&A.
Those who attend each of the modules will receive a certificate of completion (due to the amount of registrants, personalization on certificates may not be available).
April 21, 2023 at 10:45am - 4:45pm
Dr. Kerry Magro